Tuesday, July 12, 2011

ABC Wednesday - Z - Zucchini

I'm not much of a gardener, but I can grow these!

Zucchinis! But then...who can't grow 'em?

I love the flowers, and they are great to eat, raw in salads or deep fried in tempura.
 
The flowers have a simple fresh taste and a delicate texture. They aren't flowery tasting, but more like extremely mild zucchini or corn.

Here is a great recipe for deep fried zucchini flowers (squash blossoms).

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup club soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups oil for deep frying 18 zucchini blossoms (I use canola, safflower or olive oil)
Heat the deep fryer to 375 degrees. Make a batter with the flour, salt and soda. Working in batches of 6, dip blossoms in batter to coat, brushing them against side of bowl to remove excess batter, pop them into the deep fryer for 1 to 2 minutes per batch until golden, Drain them on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. I like use a finishing salt, Fleur de Sel, Himalayan Pink Salt etc. Serve warm, and eat immediately. If you don't have a deep fryer, you can use a deep pot, you will have to turn the flowers to brown evenly.

Why not click on over to ABC WEDNESDAY and see what's up!

29 comments:

  1. i would not have thought about eating the flowers, much less tempura-ing them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new one for me, too! Great photos and a tasty post for the Z Day! Have a beautiful day, Karen!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers and nice preparation with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your shots of the zucchini in flower and I'll have to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had zucchini at a Middle Eastern restaurant just last night!

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice pictures...
    i like these colors.

    Greetings, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have heard of this before....so have my yard animals, they love them!!

    pretty photo's....all of them, i especially love the "fried" ones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy - have to try this out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks and sounds yummy!!! I wish I had a zuccini garden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only had zucchini flowers once ... they were good! This reminds me that I need to try it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love zucchini and am always asking people with gardens if they grow any because I will gladly take the extras off their hands!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful are those flowers! I like zucchinis. We call them courgettes, like the French.
    Your photos are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so yummy, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flower is very beautiful. It looks like delicious to eat by tempura.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just have some deep fried zucchini last weekend but we stuffed it with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried the deep fry trick (although it looks delicious) and I regret to inform you that I can't grow zucchini - but I must be the only person in captivity who can't. :) Good post - beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you pick the flowers, do you not get the actual zucchini?
    The flowers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, I love zucchini in any way, cooked or raw, but I didn't know you can eat the flowers! Great idea to fry them.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos and thanks for the recipe. i´m not sure I´ll try it but thanks anyway. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice shots! I've zucchini in my vegs garden but I've never tasted the flowers!
    Thanks for sharing;o)

    ***
    Happy day****

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always wondered how to do that!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Belas fotos, lindas cores. A ultima foto parece ovos fritos...

    Parabéns pelo post.

    Abraço
    http://campechefatosefotos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Zowie! A zuperb Z post! Pretty flower, great idea to tempura them, and zucchinis are a favorite of mine! (I don't even TRY to grow anything! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Luscious, scrumptious looking zucchini! I just and dinner, but now I am hungry again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow the flower looks beautiful. I'd rather put it in a vase than chomp it away :-).. but then I haven't sampled it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. now, this is pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, and hey, why not follow my blog too.
I can't respond to every comment, but I will return the favour and visit your blog. I have turned off word verification, but it randomly shows up, that's a BLOGGER glitch.