Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Sacred Heart - Guest Heart Thursday

In the centre of Australia lies a huge monolith know as Uluru (Ayers Rock). It is a large sandstone rock formation in the southern part of the Northern Territory, central Australia.

Uluru is a huge tourist attraction, and many people climb it. Uluru is sacred to the Aṉangu, the Aboriginal people of the area. The local Aṉangu do not climb Uluru because of its great spiritual significance, and they request that visitors do not climb the rock. 

The Aṉangu lead walking tours around the base of the rock, and visitors are free to explore most areas on their own. They request that visitors do not photograph certain sections of Uluru, for reasons related to traditional Tjukurpa beliefs. The areas prohibited from photography are well marked.


Walking around the huge rock I took heaps of photos.
I was pleased to find this one with the heart. 
 And...this was not taken in a prohibited area.

Click on over to  Clytie's Blog and see lots more Random Hearts

Uluru is;
862.5 metres above sea level
348 metres (1141 feet) high
3.6 km (2.2 miles) long
1.9 km  (1.2 miles) wide
9.4 km or 5.8 miles around the base (that's walking)
covers 3.33 km (1.29 square miles)
Uluru is primarily composed of coarse-grained arkose, a type of sandstone characterized by an abundance of feldspar.

13 comments:

  1. I did a hiking/camping trip to the Outback which was amazing. The day we went to Ayers Rock it was deemed too hot for anyone to climb it, so we did the entire base walk and it was absolutely fascinating. It is a magical place and seeing the rock at sunset and sunrise was pretty spectacular too. Sadly it was way back when I did not have a digital camera, so I only have printed photos of my trip :-) Just shows how old I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good info and a nice picture,
    i like this Karen.

    Greetings, Joop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot of the heart.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to visit this place. What a pretty heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great pic! Uluru has so many hidden and amazing facets and secrets that are only revealed to those special few who can "see" them...

    luckily we have you to then pass them on to us.

    Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool post! Uluru... a meteorite? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, lovely heart! I feel like I toured the place too, maybe someday (a long time from now) when I go there I'll look for this heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i <3 your <3....i linked also!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never visited Uluru; only heard of it on PBS specials and read about it in books and magazines. I have always felt it was a special and magical place.

    Now I KNOW how special and magical it is - it is showing it's heart!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, and hey, why not follow my blog too.
I can't respond to every comment, but I will return the favour and visit your blog. I have turned off word verification, but it randomly shows up, that's a BLOGGER glitch.