Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Spunky Sparrows

I became a birdwatcher quite by accident in January of 2013. I was stuck in the house due to disability from Multiple Sclerosis, and I had nothing much to take photos of. We've always had a bird feeder set just outside the kitchen window in the winter months. My goal was to feed the birds, not take photos. Upon endless hours inside, I started to watch the feeder, and take pics. I remember some of my first shots were "just" hoards of sparrows gutsing out at the feeder.
 
Now, months later, I am fascinated by birds, and I love taking photos of them.
 
Here are some of the sparrows that frequent my feeders, and I can now identify most members of the "hoards".
 
 
Chipping Sparrow
The Chipping Sparrow is a slender, fairly long-tailed sparrow with a medium-sized bill that is a bit small for a sparrow. Summer Chipping Sparrows look clean and crisp, with frosty underparts, pale face, black line through the eye, topped off with a bright rusty crown. It can be distinguished from the American Tree Sparrow by it's black, rather than rufus eye stripe.
 
 White-crowned Sparrow
The White-crowned Sparrow is a large sparrow with a small bill and a long tail. It has bold black and white head stripes, clean gray throat and breast, pale brown sides, gray belly and a brown and gray streaked back .
 
White-throated Sparrow
The White-throated Sparrow is a large, full-bodied sparrow with a fairly prominent bill, rounded head, long legs, and long, narrow tail. They are brown above and gray below with a striking head pattern. The black-and-white-striped head is augmented by a bright white throat and yellow between the eye and the bill, which is gray. They’re also a great entrée into the world of birdsong, with their pretty, wavering whistle of Oh-sweet-Canada. These forest sparrows breed mostly across Canada, but they’re familiar winter birds across most of eastern and southern North America and California.
 
House Sparrow
House Sparrows aren’t related to other North American sparrows, and they’re differently shaped. They are chunkier, fuller in the chest, with a larger, rounded head, shorter tail, and stouter bill than most American sparrows. Male House Sparrows are brightly colored birds with gray heads, rufus sides, white cheeks, and a black bib.
 
sharing with...
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
 

49 comments:

  1. Such cute shots!
    They are a joy to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love them all! keep 'em coming, birder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been bitten by the birding bug! Love it! Amazed at all the different sparrows you are seeing at your window. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always LOVE your birds!! Today is no exception!! What cuties they are and your captures are terrific, Karen!! I think I'm catching your "bird love"!!! Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to bookmark this post Karen. As a fledgling birder myself who is learning every day, it is great for identification. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I had no idea there were that many Sparrows around here I must say I love the White Throated Sparrow that sings Sweet Canada:) Your photos are amazing and your knowledge blows me away and makes me very happy you are sharing. Keep going I have a lot to learn. :) B

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful, beautiful details Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely photogenic birds. You do have a way with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All are beauties!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great set of images which should enable anyone to differentiate between the separate species. Very well done Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post for WBW!
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bird feeders should come with a warning label: May cause addiction.

    These are wonderful photos, and a great guide to the "little brown birds"! We have tons of chipping sparrows, and we see the white throated and white crowned sometimes. Fortunately, no house sparrows have taken up residence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bird photos are great! I too have a backyard feeder right next to a large picture window. But my bird photos through the window glass don't turn out very well. I guess I need to hide myself somewhere outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spunky maybe, but I see true beauty in their colors!! Great images.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are fantastic shots! I'm not a fan of House Sparrows, but they're here to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bird photo's are wonderful, looks like you have a wide variety to photograph too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant post - it reminds how much I love seeing sparrows on WBW. Gary (and Boomer) is a regular poster of them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos and an interesting series of sparrows. The only one I see here in Australia is the House Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great collection of Sparrow shots! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are wonderful pics of the sparrows, Karen. It is so nice to hear the white-throated sparrow singing away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your Sparrows Karen, good clear pics. and such veriety.
    Take care Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful shots of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Karen...that is how I started watching the birds here 9 years ago... I never feel alone now with my birds friends... Nature is helping me heel once again... Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow Karen you sure have a lovely variety of sparrows coming to your house; lovely photos; well done!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, u find quite a lot of sparrow's at your place...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Snap. My bird obsession started in a very similar way - and I now spend LOTS of time watching... Love your sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such beautiful shots!
    I've had all but the house sparrow at my feeders . The chipping sparrows are my favorite little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  28. you have an awesome variety of birds karen and the images you get are breathtaking!!

    i didn't realize that you were new to the birding bug!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very nice photos of your Sparrows, I didn't there were that many sorts of them! You did a great job and it is so fun wathing birds!
    Greetings Pia

    ReplyDelete
  30. one thing for sure, sparrows look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Real individualists and each one with his own special features.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A lovely story of how you "found" birds Karen and it's now obvious how much pleasure they give you. Great pictures - take lots more please.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice birds - we have house sparrow too - courtesy of the UK!

    I think photoshopping the post out may be a bit more than I want to do!

    Cheers - and thanks for linking to WBW - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice sparrow collection and descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  35. wow! great pics and such an informative post!! well done *VBS*

    amazing how we miss so much in life till we take the time to notice and observe and suddenly find a whole new appreciation and enjoyment of the things that are always around us. *S*

    ReplyDelete
  36. You have become an expert... both an expert birder and an expert photographer. This amateur (at both) is in awe and grateful to you for what you've taught me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a wonderful series! Great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your photos are excellent. Birding truly is fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great shots showing the identifying details of these sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I am starting to learn how to identify sparrows too. We don't have or I didn't see House sparrow or chipping sparrow, but we have lots of black-throat sparrows and American song sparrows!

    Gorgeous shots!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wonderful post and photos, the Chipping Sparrow is my favorite! I have a similar post about sparrows too! Here's mine: http://prairiebirder.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/dont-overlook-sparrows/

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wonderful post and photos, the Chipping Sparrow is my favorite! I have a similar post about sparrows too! Here's mine: http://prairiebirder.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/dont-overlook-sparrows/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh wow!! What divine little Sparrows!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Always an eye for detail. Delightful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I think the White Crowned is my favourite, but they`re all gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Fabulous close photos of these sparrows. Shows the differences really well.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, and hey, why not follow my blog too.
I can't respond to every comment, but I will return the favour and visit your blog. I have turned off word verification, but it randomly shows up, that's a BLOGGER glitch.